Search news

Friday, January 4, 2013

Obituary - William Vaughn Mullies

Graveside services for William "Bill" Mullies of Hume, Missouri will be 2 p.m. Sunday, January 6, 2013 at Lawrence Cemetery in Hume, Missouri with Reverend Oliver W. Hawk officiating. There is no visitation. Contributions may be made to the charity of choice. Services are under the direction of the Schowengerdt Funeral Chapel, Butler.

  William "Bill" Vaughn Mullies, age 90 of Hume, Missouri died Thursday, January 3, 2013 at his home in Hume. He was born Febrary 18, 1922 to William Jesse and Norene Vaughn Mullies in Worland, Missouri.

William is survived by a son, Arther Mullies of Hume, Missouri; a brother, Oliver Mullies and wife Melba of Independence, Missouri; a grandson, John Mullies and wife Courtney of Shawnee, Kansas; a granddaughter, Julia Knickerbocker and husband Mark of Westwood, Kansas; two great-grandsons, Adrius and Maximus; and nephews and nieces. He was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Elsie Mullies; and a sister, Jessie Martin.

Butler Street shut down

  The Butler Water/Street Department will have Mechanic Street from Oak to Atkinson close today so they can repair water lines. If you have to travel in this area plus use a alternate route. No reports of how long it will be closed. Please use caution when traveling in this area


Karen Landers  is recognized as the Bates County Memorial Hospital Employee of the Month for January, 2013. Karen has been employed as a Registered Nurse since 1994. She has worked as an Emergency Room nurse and is currently the RN Supervisor of the Outpatient Specialty Clinic. Karen maintains a calm presence to our patients and is able to make them feel at ease about their health care needs. Her kindness and compassion is shown in the way she communicates to her patients, never making them feel she is too busy for them. The hospital is very fortunate to have Karen on its healthcare team.

Update on house fire yesterday in morning in Butler


On January 3, 2013 at approximately 3:18 A.M., the Butler Fire Department, with an automatic mutual aid response from Adrian Fire Dept., responded to a report of a residential structure fire at 310 N. Water St., Butler.

On arrival, a large body of fire was found at the front of a single story, wood frame residence, with obvious fire extension to the roof/attic area.

Units had been advised while enroute that all occupants were out of the residence.

The fire was extinguished with heavy fire damage to the area of origin, and extension to the attic area over the living room. The remainder of the structure and contents sustained minor to moderate heat and smoke damage.

The fire was declared under control at 4:04 A.M., with the last units leaving the scene at 5:18 A.M.

The cause was determined to have been accidental in nature, originating at the southeast corner of the residence.