Search news

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Clinton Firefighters Battle Structure Fire in High Wind Conditions...

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – Wednesday, March 10, 2021
For more information contact:
Matt Willings, Deputy Fire Chief
301 South Washington Street – Clinton, MO 64735
(660) 885-2560

Clinton Firefighters Battle Structure Fire in High Wind Conditions...
CLINTON, MO - Yesterday, March 9, 2021, at 5:38pm, the Clinton Fire Department was dispatched to 214 North 8th Street on a reported residential structure fire. Fire crews were already dispatched and working a grass fire in rural Henry County at the time the structure fire alarm was received. Fire Chief Mark Manuel and a crew of three personnel on standby at fire headquarters responded in two apparatus.

Prior to their arrival, Deputy Fire Chief Matt Willings arrived on scene, finding the garage portion of the home fully engulfed in fire with heavy smoke showing from the attic and rear portion of the home. A second alarm was issued requesting additional personnel to respond to the scene.

Fire crews immediately began fire suppression efforts and were met with extreme fire conditions. High winds fueled the fire, making fire suppression efforts very difficult. Dry conditions created a grass fire around the burning residence that threaten the neighboring homes. Limited personnel on scene created a very dangerous situation, however, firefighters were able to protect the neighboring structures and bring the fire under control in approximately 45 minutes.

The home was unoccupied and had been vacant for several years. An investigation into the cause of the fire concluded that the fire had started in the South East corner of the attached garage of the home. At the time of this press release, fire investigators determined that the fire was suspicious in nature with an open investigation ongoing. An exact cause of the fire could not be determined due to the extent damage to the garage area of the home.

Thirteen firefighters responded to the fire and were on scene for approximately five hours. Throughout the duration of the five hours on scene, firefighters were dispatched to three other incidents. No injuries were reported.