Search news

Thursday, May 13, 2021

The Museum Minute: KMAM hits the airwaves

Museum Minute
May 13, 2021

Museum Minute Presents:  This Week in History (According to Herrman’s Archives)

Second Week of May in the Year…

1879 – Citizens of Elkhart Township meet and sign a resolution banning non-residents from grazing their herds of cattle in Elkhart Township.
1896 – John Skinner, formerly of Bates Co, is removed as Indian Commissioner of the Osage Reservation, because he was swindling the Indians.
1867 – Two steamers loaded with freight unload at Belvoir Landing on the Marais Des Cygne River south of where Prairie City now stands.
1905 – Doctor Everingham has completed the longest concrete sidewalk in Butler, put in by one person.  The west side of Delaware St. sidewalk is now complete from Mill St to the Square.
1907 – The new railroad depot at Passaic is done. Now work needs to start on a new one for Butler.
1912 – A windstorm in the Hume area destroys the Missouri & Kansas Grain company hay barn and the New Home school house.
1862 – The 1st Iowa Calvary is ambushed at the Deepwater Crossing in Eastern Bates County.
1893 – Sanford Hardy begins publishing the Rockville Reflex newspaper.
1927 – 36 electric light globes arrive at Butler City Hall to be used in the extension of the “White Way” on Ohio St. from Havanna St. to the railroad depot.
1898 – The Merwin Business College building is under construction.  It will cost $10,000 and will be one of the finest in Western Missouri.
1869 – David Edwards, who was born in Bates Co and evacuated during the War Between the States, recently moved into Grand River Township, purchasing 700 acres of land.  Now he is opening a general store in the village of Altona.
1863 – A report of Col Edward Lynde, Kansas Cavalry scout in Bates County, “The stream of Double Branches is a rendezvous for the rebels.  Only 4 loyal families live there, but we’ve notified 50 or 60 families of doubtful leanings to leave and go south.” (Order No. 11 was issued in August 1863.  This order to vacate was in May.)
1871 – “Lost”…A small “Southerner Derringer Pistol,” in Butler.  Anyone finding same will be suitably rewarded by leaving it at the Bates County Democrat newspaper office.
1879 – There are a few injuries when the Appleton City to Butler Stagecoach has a run-away, with a full passenger load, near Hudson City.
1913 – T. A. Scully, of Washington D. C., arrives in Butler to look over his 40,000 acres of Scully land in Bates County.
And Finally… 

1962 – Butler radio station KMAM begins broadcasting, Bill Thornton of Arkansas is the owner-manager.