Courtesy of the Bates County Museum 802 Elks Drive, Butler Mo 64730 (660) 679-0134
Herrman’s Historical Happenings week of February 1
1847 Peter M. Papin deeds a plot of land to Bates Co for the courthouse, Papinville.
1871 Mr. Winchester House & G.F. Riffle engage in a fist & knife fight on the Butler square. Mr. House is fined $2.50 by Squire Sackett.
1934 Frank Cox & J.B. Walton organize the Missouri Farm Loan Company, Butler.
1934 The Adrian city council, in an economy drive, orders all but 11 street lights in the business district to be turned off.
1943 Today is “can day” in Butler. All householders are to put tin cans at the curb to be collected for the war effort (8 tons are collected).
1960 TV clown Whizzo performs to a packed elementary school auditorium, Butler.
1973 The Bates County Headliner newspaper buys and consolidates the Bates Co Democrat. Charles Thomure publisher, C.A. Moore Jr. the editor.
1974 The B&L Glass Company opens their new location in the former Coca-Cola building at 216 N. Main in Butler.